river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Replace RemoteException with IOException
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 05:18:05 GMT
Hi,

I've been having some thoughts about what Chris said about using
IOException where possible for clients using non remote classes and
interfaces, instead of RemoteException.

We have plenty of methods that declare they throw RemoteException, we
could change them to declare throws IOException, without breaking binary
compatibility as it doesn't change the method signature.  We can
continue throwing a RemoteException, but just change the declaration, so
clients using non remote interfaces and classes can catch an
IOException, without needing to create any dependency on
java.rmi.RemoteException.

Thoughts?

Peter.