river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Codebase service?
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 12:51:39 GMT

On May 24, 2010, at 1238AM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 17:12, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> Since we will be formalizing the convention of creating a service.jar, service-api.jar
and service-dl jar, what I was musing about really was the creation of perhaps an extra an
unnecessary jar in the case where a service does not use a smart proxy. I agree with Greg,
in that a client should always depend on the API jar, and not the DL jar.

>> The client will have the service-api.jar in it's classpath, and the service will
have an export codebase set to serve the service-d.jar. The service may also create some variant
of the previously discussed DLEntry, and the service-dl.jar may be provisioned to the client
as an option (whether a maven repository is used or not).

>> If the particular service does end up having 2 jars with identical content, oh well.
It preserves the approach and allows flexibility going forward.

> Could it be that we're assuming a service can only call out one jar as
> it's codebase?

Not at all.