river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Codebase service?
Date Sat, 22 May 2010 23:47:00 GMT

On May 22, 2010, at 646PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> On May 20, 2010, at 628PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>

>>> We could call it api, instead of spec, so as not to confuse the Jini Spec?  (We
call River an implementation of the Jini Specifications)

>>> Implementation jar: service.jar
>>> API jar: service-api.jar
>>> Download jar: service-dl.jar
>>>

>> Thinking out loud here, what id the service does not use a smart proxy? There is
no difference between the API jar and the DL jar. Is the API jar only needed when the service
uses a smart proxy?

> Yep that's correct.

So as far as a convention is concerned here, what would you recommend? Only create API jar
for smart proxy implementations? Or only create DL jars for smart proxy implementations.

Seems that the latter makes more sense? If so than the API jar will always be in the client's
classpath. Will have problems with the service's registration with reggie though.