river-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wright <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Codebase service?
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 15:15:22 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 1007AM, Patrick Wright wrote:
>
>> It seems you would want
>> - the service to post a hash of the required dependency/DL JAR file
>> that it expects you to use; this not only helps guarantee
>> authenticity,
>
> True, but I suggest that in general you already know what these are. You would need to
in order to build your client (or service) that uses the associated service.

Yes, what I meant though was that when the service launches, it may or
need to register (via Entries) identifying information for the DL JAR,
in case that has changed. If it's posted via the entry (or even the
codebase attribute) then the client will know whether it has the JARs
or not, whether it has the correct version, and whether it needs to
download them.

Of course, this isn't necessary. It just allows for a little more
dynamic behavior in case you deploy services and clients on different
cycles, and the client is deployed with access to an older version of
the DL JAR. If you deploy both sides at the same time, you wouldn't
need this.

I think the Maven coordinate would work as well, but I have had Maven
burp every now and then and I need to delete artifacts from my local
repository to clear up some confusion it has with an older artifact.
Hence I suggest a hash as a more accurate key to verifying we have the
right JAR.

Patrick