river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Maven repository Entry was Re: Codebase service?
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 02:05:24 GMT
Dennis Reedy wrote:
> On May 25, 2010, at 1156AM, Patrick Wright wrote:
>>  I myself would just
>> like to see River move away from the idea that dynamic download via
>> codebase services is a requirement, more or less, of using Jini, and
>> to provide a reasonable/workable alternative for those that don't need
>> it.
>
> Sums up the entire impetus to this thread, well said!

We all know that there are references to java.rmi.* in various parts of what
Jini is.  But, the plugability of RMIClassLoaderSPI (and now my changes to
remove dependency on the system class loader resolving the replacement SPI), it
has always been possible for the "annotation" to be pretty arbitrarily resolved
to mean whatever.

The real problem is that the annotation is untyped.  What I'd like to suggest,
is that we amend some of my work to include a typed annotation which could
actually be contained in a Map that might look like Map<String,List<A>> that
would allow multiple types of annotations to be used.  The key to the map,
should be the class name of the replacement CodebaseClassAccess implementation.

Then we could put <A> on CodebaseClassAccess as the annotation type provide a
bit richer opportunity to really compartmentalize and fully qualify how
annotations are used.

Thoughts?

Gregg Wonderly