river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Codebase service?
Date Sun, 23 May 2010 21:20:09 GMT
We can exclude the Service API packages with ClassDep.  If there are
Service API classes in a DL jar they'll be superfluous, they won't be
loaded by the Smart Proxy ClassLoader, provided the Service API has been
loaded in the parent ClassLoader first.

Dennis Reedy wrote:
> Since we will be formalizing the convention of creating a service.jar, service-api.jar
and service-dl jar, what I was musing about really was the creation of perhaps an extra an
unnecessary jar in the case where a service does not use a smart proxy. I agree with Greg,
in that a client should always depend on the API jar, and not the DL jar.

> The client will have the service-api.jar in it's classpath, and the service will have
an export codebase set to serve the service-d.jar. The service may also create some variant
of the previously discussed DLEntry, and the service-dl.jar may be provisioned to the client
as an option (whether a maven repository is used or not).

> If the particular service does end up having 2 jars with identical content, oh well.
It preserves the approach and allows flexibility going forward.

> Regards
>
> Dennis
>
> On May 23, 2010, at 450PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>

>>> Dennis Reedy wrote:
>>> Oops, but no. If the service does not have a DL jar, the ServiceItem will not
be able to be loaded by reggie, so joining the network is a problem

>> Hi Greg & Dennis,
>>
>> Reggie's Smart Proxy performs unmarshalling (I realise this is what Dennis meant,
sorry Dennis, I was thinking of the Service {Registrar}). Reggie's proxy also uses com.sun.proxy.MarshalledWrapper
to check integrity.

>> However I've recently added net.jini.core.lookup.MarshalledServiceItem which will
assist in delayed unmarshalling, giving the client the opportunity to pre-download the required
classes.  MarshalledServiceItem is abstract, to allow the implementation of unmarshalling
to be separate from the Jini Platform.

>> It will still be Reggie's proxy that does the unmarshalling, by extending MarshalledServiceItem,
however we could pass a CodeSource object to getService(CodeSource cs)?  If cs is null, Reggie's
proxy can fall back to using MarshalledInstance's codebase URL annotation.

>> That means a CodeSource Entry list could be provided to the client, the client then
gets a choice, which smart proxy to use, based on the local environment, and after local installation.

>> Due to ClassLoader isolation, the client, although it knows the CodeSource, will
only be able to interact with the smart proxy via it's Service API.

>> A Malicious client could download and modify a codebase for the proxy, and there's
not much we can do about that, it's still possible with MarshalledInstance, however using
good Serialization practices like, defensively copying fields with writeObject() and requiring
client authentication, we can be reasonable confident.