river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Jini Activation Framework - A sub project?
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 17:00:38 GMT
Zsolt Kúti wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:41:58 -0500
> Gregg Wonderly <greggwon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg,
>
>> I use norm and mahalo all the time without activation.  I use a
>> leased smart proxy instead of DGC so that all of the details of proxy

> Is there an example for this in any of your public projects?

http://pastion.dev.java.net has a version of LeasedSmartProxy and related
classes visible.  It's not well documented, I just pushed it out, hoping to get
back to cleaning it up.  That hasn't happened...

>> management are under my control and I use transactions without
>> activation for mahalos lifecycle.
 >
> Would you explain this latter sentence, I dont really get it.

I just start mahalo using com.sun.jini.start, without activation.  The use of
the Lease in the smart proxy simulates DGCs features.  There are APIs to listen
to the activities of DGC on the server so you can see a proxy become unexported.
  I prefer to get the DGC conversation out of the JERI stream that my service
interface is using.  I've seen cases where DGC has become stuck for long period
of times doing checks for liveness.  The use of a Lease, for me, unifies the use
of a feature already available, and it fits into my needs for debugging as well,
as I can see the lease renewals from the client and see the lease renewal fail
on the client etc.

Gregg Wonderly