river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Jini Activation Framework - A sub project?
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 10:59:51 GMT
Can we move the Activation Framework to a subproject of Apache River?
So it isn't part of the platform?

The Activation Framework could be optional and include the following:

    * Phoenix - Activation Service
    * Norm - Lease Service (This doesn't make much sense outside Activation)
    * Activatable Fiddler - Lookup Discovery Service
    * Activatable Reggie - Service Registrar
    * Activatable Javaspaces - Outrigger FrontEndSpace.
    * Mahalo - Transaction Service (We can create a Non-Activatable
      implementation for the platform)
    * Mecury - Event mailbox (We can create a Non-Activatable
      implementation for the platform)

These could be bundled together as an Activation Framework Release

Existing interfaces that are specific to Activation in the net.jini
namespace (exclusive of net.jini.activation) could be depreciated and
copied to another package namespace, giving existing applications time
to transition.

Then the activation framework becomes something that runs on top of Jini
/ Apache River, rather than part of it, making Jini / River conceptually
simpler to new application developers.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Peter.