river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gregg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini Activation Framework - A sub project?
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 16:41:58 GMT
I use norm and mahalo all the time without activation.  I use a leased smart proxy instead
of DGC so that all of the details of proxy management are under my control and I use transactions
without activation for mahalos lifecycle.

Gregg wonderly

Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> My reasoning for removal from the platform spec or making it optional: Activation is
a Service implementation detail.

> If there are no objections, I'd like to move it in the near future.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
> Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> Can we move the Activation Framework to a subproject of Apache River?  So it isn't
part of the platform?

>> The Activation Framework could be optional and include the following:
>>
>>   * Phoenix - Activation Service
>>   * Norm - Lease Service (This doesn't make much sense outside Activation)
>>   * Activatable Fiddler - Lookup Discovery Service
>>   * Activatable Reggie - Service Registrar
>>   * Activatable Javaspaces - Outrigger FrontEndSpace.
>>   * Mahalo - Transaction Service (We can create a Non-Activatable
>>     implementation for the platform)
>>   * Mecury - Event mailbox (We can create a Non-Activatable
>>     implementation for the platform)
>>
>> These could be bundled together as an Activation Framework Release
>>
>> Existing interfaces that are specific to Activation in the net.jini namespace (exclusive
of net.jini.activation) could be depreciated and copied to another package namespace, giving
existing applications time to transition.

>> Then the activation framework becomes something that runs on top of Jini / Apache
River, rather than part of it, making Jini / River conceptually simpler to new application
developers.