river-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Morris <mikro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Entry update failed : please explain!]]
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:57:59 GMT
On 28 April 2010 10:30, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> In the case I'm analyzing, if an Entry is updated during a network break,
> the remote notification receives an IOException (RegistrarImpl:EventTask)
> which is not retryable (see ThrowableConstant : retryable(exception) )
> IOException seem to be NOT retryable.
>
> Could anyone explain to me how river is supposed to handle this case and
> update the Entry on remote ServiceDiscoveryManagers after the end of the
> network break ?

It is not up to the Jini infrastructure to do anything in such a case.
It is up to your application logic what you want to do. At least your
app will know that the Entry /may/ not have been updated, and that it
needs to check the state of affairs when it next gets a chance. If you
were updating the Event under a Transaction, at least you will be
pretty sure that the Entry has /not/ been updated, so life is a little
simpler in that case.

--
This email is [X]bloggable [ ]ask-first [ ]private

Mike Morris
http://mikro2nd.net/
EarthStuff: http://mikro2nd.net/blog/planb/
TechStuff: http://mikro2nd.net/blog/mike/