river-dev mailing list archives

From Oracle <jim.wa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: MarshalledInstance
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:29:26 GMT
Well, as someone who participated far more actively than Jonathan in that action, let me assure
you that his account was not a precise description of what happened. The terms of the settlement
was, for the most part, that Sun would license the Kodak patents for a considerable sum. It
didn't have any impact on the further development of RMI-- what did seem to limit that was
the Java community process and the pressure to not put anything into RMI over JRMP (which
I still think of as RMI) that couldn't be mirrored in RMI over IIOP.

SPI mechanisms have been talked about for some time. I've never been convinced that these
add much, but if that is the way the community wants to go, there are certainly designs that
have been proposed that could be used as a starting point. JERI actually allows a lot of plug-compatibility
for new forms of implementation, but if that is not sufficient, other things could be discussed.

Jim Waldo

On Apr 16, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> I'm guessing from Jonathan's recent comments on his blog, about Kodak suing successfully
for damages over RMI, that this impacted RMI negatively, nothing has been done with RMI for
a long time, I wonder what the terms of the settlement were?

> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>
> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> What I would like to see is a mechanism for completely extracting the use of the
java.rmi package use into an SPI like mechanism.  The ability to then plug in some other details
or more limited environments like those would be possible.

>> I don't know any details, but I suspect that some of the use of RMI stiff was left
over from the JSRs and maybe some was there as preparation for another eventual JSR attempt.

>> In the end, RMI ended up not getting as much support, from the top brass and in the
Sun Developer Advisory Council meetings, I detected some personality conflicts that were probably
also a factor.  Jonathan eliminated some of those...