river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Neuromancer
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:25:18 GMT
I remember reading about Neuromancer, there was RemoteReference(a
reference that updates itself) and an Xuid directory (a distributed hash
table for looking up persistent objects that moved around and kept their
location up to date in the xuid directory).  Xuid was a Uuid on
steroids, allowed for custom naming schemes and a very good likelihood
of unique identity globally.

The reason I'm thinking about this is related to the
StreamServiceRegistrar I'm working on, you don't often get the
opportunity to replace a central interface like ServiceRegistrar, so it
has to be done right, so please review & comment.  But on that subject,
I'm wondering if StreamServiceRegistrar needs ServiceTemplate &
ServiceItems to have a new field for Xuid's?

There are issues of trust to be overcome with RemoteReference, these are
best explained in the Neuromancer report.

Cheers,

Peter.