river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Tricky question - UnmarshalException Serialized Form.
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 03:15:49 GMT
Got a tricky question about java.rmi.UnmarshalException and
compatibility communicating with earlier versions of Jini.

For Java CDC, I'm missing java.rmi.UnmarshalException

UnmarshalException extends java.rmi.RemoteException, which I do have.

UnmarshalException has no Serialized state, nor does it have any
methods, only constructors.

I can't go changing all existing public API methods that throw it, to
throw say, net.jini.io.UnmarshalException since earlier platform
versions won't have the required class file.

I could throw RemoteException instead, however that might cause the
Exception to be caught higher up the call stack.

One solution seems to be to convert the serialized form to
java.rmi.RemoteException, and then change it back somewhere, perhaps in
JERI for java cdc?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Peter.