river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Jini Spec API changes - Advise needed
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:28:02 GMT
Christopher Dolan wrote:
> In general (I have not looked at Peter's recent changes yet) I vote for
> simple binary compatibility by adding @Deprecated to old methods and
> adding new methods with the altered signatures.  Instead of rearranging
> method arguments, I favor changing the method name, or creating a whole
> new class/interface and deprecating the old one if the changes are
> extensive.
I'm tending to agree with you.

When two methods or constructors are similar, it's the caller that is
ambiguous due to null parameters, which means code that currently
compiles doesn't when new similar methods or constructors are added,
unless null parameters are cast to their intended type. I guess if
someone was going to the effort to compile, it wouldn't be much to add
some casts, and makes the replacement very obvious.

> But where that's impossible (like the refactoring to reduce
> java.rmi dependencies) I'm not sure what to propose.  The most important
> thing to me is that I any River 2.2.x code I write will be able talk to
> my Jini 2.1 code.

I figured there would be significant pressure to maintain backward
compatibility, so far I think I'm succeeding. I think this is the reason
why Gregg's improvements to Reggie and ServiceRegistrar never made it
into River. However I think I can give Gregg what he needs, without
breaking backward compatibility.

Commit to follow.

Cheers,

Peter.