river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: time until error
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:22:49 GMT
It is a long time.  I've gotten around it in the past by polling the service
which can be done in one of two ways (off the top of my head)...

1)  Add a ping() method to the service and keep hitting that, get a
replacement in the background when it disappears.

2) Lookup the service, get it's ServiceID then keep relooking up the same
service with that ServiceID in the background, replace it when the LUS
doesn't return anything.

Neither of these are perfect solutions.  There's probably another possible
solution; always do lazy lookups just before you need the proxy, then you
can supply your own timeout value, but of course this has the overhead of
always having to do a lookup before each service call.

I find it interesting (and understandable, to a degree) that there doesn't
seem to be any of these kinds of QoS considerations in the spec - that I can
recall...