river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River jar files in mvnRepository
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:21:06 GMT
Brian Murphy wrote:
> The organization and packaging model was changed as part of
> the 2.0 release, resulting in the jsk-*.jars. If I recall, there was
> some documentation provided with the release that described
> the details, as well as the motivation for the change.
>
> The intent at the time, was to not force folks to migrate their
> existing apps and scripts until they had had some time to get their
> heads around 2.0; after which, the obsolete/deprecated jars -- such
> as jini-core.jar, jini-ext.jar, and sun-util.jar -- would be removed.
> Unfortunately, various events occurred which either distracted
> or prevented the team from doing so.
>
> Brian

I've been waiting to pose the question about just what should we be
keeping.  Considering our resources, I believe we need to refactor /
clear out any crud going forward.

The old jar's are easily removed, but what about obsolete / duplicate
interfaces, any suggestions?

Do we need to continue supporting rmic stubs? Should we remove
facilities for RMI communication other than those utilised through JERI?

Regards,

Peter.