river-dev mailing list archives

From QCG - Sim IJskes <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: strange problem with DGC
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 07:21:33 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> The problem starts when you marshall it in
>> BasicInvocationDispatcher.marshalReturn(), and the reply has enough
>> latency to arive 'late' at the client side.
>>
>> In this window the service becomes 'weakly reachable' and if the GC
>> kicks in before DgcServer.dirty the object gets finalized.
>
> Keep a strong reference, to the service (not the proxy), long enough to

Indeed, but my point is, that this is so counter-intuitive. It looks
like this is completely overlooked by the design of jini. Why? I can't
imagine. Everywhere where you have a service that has a factory method
for a service, and you don't register the service or save the service
reference, this will happen. It has never been documented.

It is because GC has become better? Shouldn't we include a fix in the
BasicJeriExporter for this?

Gr. Sim