river-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Murphy <btmurphy....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River jar files in mvnRepository
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:54:06 GMT
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> The old jar's are easily removed, but what about obsolete / duplicate
> interfaces, any suggestions?

I'm not aware of any duplicate interfaces. Could you be more
specific?

I believe there were some deprecated items that were scheduled
for removal after the appropriate number of releases had occurred.
Don't know what interfaces would be considered obsolete though;
such a designation might be more about opinion than functionality
or utility.

There have been some comments in past threads about the
value of services like the lookup discovery service and the
lease renewal service; both of which have little usage as far
as I know. Some have even questioned the usefulness of the
event mailbox service, but for what it's worth, I can tell you that
I know of projects/companies that do use that service. So I
don't know where the line should be drawn, or what criteria
should be applied when deciding when something should be
removed.

Do we need to continue supporting rmic stubs? Should we remove facilities
> for RMI communication other than those utilised through JERI?

Are you talking about just removing the generation of the stubs
in the build scripts, or are you talking about the use of JRMP
for example?

I'm not sure about the usefulness of manually generating
the stubs. But if you're talking about removing classes like
JrmpExporter and IiopExporter, I'd be very much against that.

Brian