river-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Murphy <btmurphy....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River jar files in mvnRepository
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:25:50 GMT
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Jeff Ramsdale <jeff.ramsdale@gmail.com>wrote:

Good to hear from you!

Back at'cha, Jeff.

> I believe these jars were posted several years ago by Chris Sterling
> as part of the Maven Jini Plugin:

Yep. Although the connection wasn't obvious at first,
I discovered this fact right after I sent the original message.

> I posted a Jira issue for exactly this issue:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-317 and as a result someone
> posted the poms I provided to svn but no process was put into place to
> apply those poms to the artifacts and deploy them to the Central
> Repository.

Yeah, I remember that. I was hoping that in addition to posting
the poms, the jars had been deployed as well.

Oh well. I guess I'll install the jars I need in the local repository
until this is sorted out.

> I was going to raise the issue again after the current
> vote completed. Meanwhile, Dennis Reedy had some very reasonable
> comments about the poms I posted. A little more discussion is probably
> warranted prior to releasing the artifacts as Maven artifacts. Dennis
> has some experience now with using Jini jars and Maven with the latest
> Rio builds. Perhaps he'll reiterate his suggestions to the list? I'd
> be glad to help out but we'll need someone on the inside to assist in
> getting things deployed once we work out the pom details.

Okay. Sounds good.

> By the way, mvnrepository.com is an ad site that scrapes the real
> Maven Central Repository. Helpful for searches, perhaps, but not
> definitive. The real repo is at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ and can
> be searched via http://repository.sonatype.org.

Thanks for the info. Although the search interface provided by the
add site was actually fairly nice, a more definitive search would be
preferable.

that's an interesting point about jini-core and jini-ext. Are
> these still artifacts of the build?

I believe they still are (a quick scan of the top-level build.xml
shows targets for each).

The organization and packaging model was changed as part of
the 2.0 release, resulting in the jsk-*.jars. If I recall, there was
some documentation provided with the release that described
the details, as well as the motivation for the change.

The intent at the time, was to not force folks to migrate their
existing apps and scripts until they had had some time to get their
heads around 2.0; after which, the obsolete/deprecated jars -- such
as jini-core.jar, jini-ext.jar, and sun-util.jar -- would be removed.
Unfortunately, various events occurred which either distracted
or prevented the team from doing so.

Brian