river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: roadmap - ICE Interactive Connectivity Establishment
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:15:53 GMT
Hi Sim,

I've found an interesting Draft itef spec that discusses all the issues
we've just been considering, they call it ICE.

Terms:

    * ICE Interactive Connectivity Establishment
    * TURN Traversal Using Relay Nat
    * STUN Session Traversal Utilities for NAT

Links:

   1. http://code.google.com/apis/talk/libjingle/index.html --  Google
      code has a c++ ICE implementation with a BSD license.
   2. http://www.isoc.org/tools/blogs/ietfjournal/?p=117  - good
      overview & history
   3. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-tcp-08
   4. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4091
   5. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-behave-turn-16  --  This one
      is most relevant to us to begin with.
   6. http://natblaster.sourceforge.net/paper/natblaster.pdf  --
      techniques for traversing NAT with TCP peer to peer. includes a c
      implementation.

It looks like the relay is the most reliable but the least scalable
option, the standard everyone seems to be working toward is try to
obtain a peer to peer NAT traversal first, using the relay to assist
opening the connection, then fall back on the relay if it fails.  Items
5 and 6 appear most relevant as these allow TLS connections. However
given our resources, we should get a working relay before we worry about
the p2p TCP too much.

The perl code mentioned earlier uses what is termed STUN, utilising UDP,
it is not effective on corporate NAT's where UDP is typically blocked

Here's an interesting video from a Yahoo Engineer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MWYw0fltr0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voip-news.com%2Ffeature%2Ftop-voip-videos-051707%2F

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Peter.