river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:50:11 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Similar to a VPN, but without the Private Part, VPN's use IPSec, which
> is a low level OS kernel and router implementation that TCP/IP utilises
> which require forward planning and administration.

I'm not clear on what the point is here, but it is my intention to
create something that can be used in a CUG deployment. So that the owner
of the infrastructure can prohibit use of their 'proxyservers' to
systems outside the CUG.

> Instead we could communicate over ordinary public networks without
> any special network admin intervention.

I'm with you!

> This does raise privacy issues though for serialization or message
> streams, however secure JERI has mechanisms to handle those.

Exactly, you cannot provide proxies in the wild without some kind of
verification. Thats why i keep returning to things analogous to
tunnels/VPNs etc. Because i want a TLS session end to end.

> That is of course if Serialization is used for communication.
> Compressed Serialized binary data is the fastest way to communicate
> over bandwidth restricted and high latency networks.

BTW pluggable marshallers, this could provide us for a place to put an
auto-exporter in. We could with annotations/interfaces signal verify the
intent. (i'm sure i'm not the first one thinking that).

> For smart proxy
> implementations we would want the client to be able to download the
> marshalled smart proxy from a lookup service and download the bytecode
> from a codebase service (it would be easier if the code base is public),
> where the smart proxy itself uses its internal reflective proxy (RMI
> JERI) to communicate with the private service via the listening post.
> The listening post would just be relaying the methods / messages while
> keeping the communication lines (NAT gateway ports) open between it, the
> smart proxy and its server.

> Perhaps JERI itself could utilise some sort of Relay listening post
> service?

Exactly, i was only talking about a proxy in terms of JERI. I think we
now have the proper name for it. Jeri Relay Service (JRS)?

We can also create a standard codebase service, which can (off-course)
also be exported over the JRS.

Gr. Sim

Quality Consultancy Group b.v., Leiderdorp, Kvk Leiden: 28088397