river-dev mailing list archives

From QCG - Sim IJskes <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS?
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:08:04 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> When we have several reggies running on the internet, it would be
>> handy to find them via DNS SRV records. It would only create an extra
>> layer of indirection. With DDNS zone updates one could build some kind
>> of super registry, but i would prefer just to code it in java.
> Sim, I hear you when you say you'd just prefer to code it in Java, has
> anyone any experience with dnsjava?  Their website is so simple, I

Sorry, i was unclear. I think i was expressing that i prefer to code it
in Jini services, instead of DDNS etc. This is only for the prototyping
phase. I've noticed that i can work much faster when everything is java
and nothing is unmodifiable. When it works, and behaves like expected
then we can refactor it to fit the DDNS service, and put in a factory
for the implementation to enable to switch between DDNS and the Java Ref
Implementation. Much easier for testing and other bench activities. As
we can code the ref. impl. in any form we want, we can also detect
mismatches between the DDNS and what we need, early during development.

Gr. Sim