river-dev mailing list archives

From "Bob Craig" <bob.cr...@avid.com>
Subject RE: sketches
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:25:14 GMT
+1 for moving to at least 1.5

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Wright <pdoubleya@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:25 AM
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org <river-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: sketches

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Christopher Dolan
<christopher.dolan@avid.com> wrote:
> Honest question: considering that Sun end-of-lifed Java 1.5 back in
> October 2009, what's the value in continuing to support the Java 1.4
> platform in River?

We discussed this on the list awhile back. I was of the opinion that
in Jini was oriented towards communication between all sorts of
Java-enabled devices, including high-end servers on the one end and
mobile and embedded devices on the other. Hence if it were important
to the community to support the SDK on devices that didn't include 1.5
features, we should continue to support 1.4.

However, the discussion on that thread indicated there weren't really
strong advocates for keeping 1.4 support. I was raising it more as an
item to discuss and make a decision about, specifically regarding Jini
compatibility across the wider Java VM landscape; we ourselves use
Jini in a server environment, already 1.6 across the board for several
years now and low-end devices aren't in our game plan at all.

I personally think that the concurrency libraries in 1.5 are a good
reason to move to 1.5 as a minimum. And personally I'm in favor of 1.6
now that 1.5 has been EOL'd.

Patrick