river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Service Wrapper Example
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 19:46:55 GMT

On Feb 16, 2010, at 210PM, Christopher Dolan wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> That's interesting, and is a reminder to me that I need to study Rio
> more.  In your Utilization case, does that allow for arbitrary
> server-side decision making?

The Utilization strategy is tapped into compute resource utilization, generally surrounding
depletion oriented resources like memory, disk, etc ...

> For example, if a service loses its
> connection to a backend database, can it demote itself?

The utilization strategy is not focused on that, but it would be simple enough to create a
Strategy that allows something like that that to happen. I suppose coming up with what the
right attribute (or property) to indicate the service is not capable of servicing requests
is the first thing to do.

Maybe setting the net.jini.lookup.entry.Status entry to have a severity of net.jini.lookup.entry.StatusType.ERROR,
and the client-side generated proxy would not include a service that has a StatusType of StatusType.ERROR.
How do you currently indicate that a service loses it's backend database?

> That's an
> important use case that led us to service-side elections and relatively
> dumb clients.

Yep.

Regards

Dennis