river-dev mailing list archives

From m..@martinwills.com
Subject RE: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:57:21 GMT

Could it be possible to take an example out of Bittorrent/Gnutella where
they require their services have a requirement to "hang around" for awhile
to share --or-- have people volunteer to host "long-lived" Registries on
their hardware.  I have to believe from the current design/specifications
that the current services were predominantly designed for LAN use (because
of the use of multicast and is subsequent denial due to firewalls). Maybe
making a new requirement/design of a global registry to only support
Unicast and have it's sole purpose to share references to services that
have been explicitly configured to support this idiom...

Just my $.02

Martin