river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS? - Java Implementation
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:42:54 GMT
There's pure java DNS-SD implementation that also includes Multicast
DNS, just like the Bonjour Library, I don't yet know if it supports
DNSSEC, which I believe is important.

While I think link local ip addresses are interesting and may be useful
for large mobile plant (eg a Dragline , Shovel or Bucket Wheel) to have
a backup in case of DHCP failure, it really is a low level OS function
and not our concern.

Here's the site:

http://code.google.com/p/waiter/

    Waiter as a Java DNS library replacement

The core of /waiter/ is a clean, modern Java DNS library which can be
used explicitly instead of the very weak services in the JDK. It be can
be used with or without caching, and provides access to far more of the
DNS messages, allowing Java programmers to truly leverage DNS in service
clusters and distributed systems.

Cheers,

Peter.