river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS?
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2010 03:18:12 GMT
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> When we have several reggies running on the internet, it would be
> handy to find them via DNS SRV records. It would only create an extra 
> layer of indirection. With DDNS zone updates one could build some kind 
> of super registry, but i would prefer just to code it in java.
Sim, I hear you when you say you'd just prefer to code it in Java, has 
anyone any experience with dnsjava?  Their website is so simple, I 
decided to attach it at the end of this message, however it is available 
at http://www.dnsjava.org/

When I think about a GlobalLookupService, I want something that can co 
exist with Reggie.

Daniel emailed me to let me know he's passed on my request to add the 
service ID and group set record keys to the Jini DNS SRV Service Type.

The Bonjour daemon, supports Multicast DNS Service Discovery as well as 
Unicast DNS-SD, however it is coded in C.

Support for link local ip addresses, is really a low level operating 
system function, it doesn't ship with the Bonjour daemon, however OS's 
will probably pick this up in future.

I'd recommend anybody interested pick up a copy of "Zero Configuration 
Networking" by Stuart Cheshire & Daniel H. Steinberg.

In fact I'll personally purchase and send a copy to anyone ready to give 
me a hand to create a GlobalLookupService.

Cheers,

Peter.


  dnsjava(2.0.8)

*New:* 2.0.8 released: Fixes to NSEC, NSEC3, and RRSIG records.

dnsjava is an implementation of DNS in Java. It supports all defined 
record types (including the DNSSEC types), and unknown types. It can be 
used for queries, zone transfers, and dynamic updates. It includes a 
cache which can be used by clients, and a minimal implementation of a 
server. It supports TSIG authenticated messages, partial DNSSEC 
verification, and EDNS0.

dnsjava provides functionality above and beyond that of the InetAddress 
class. Since it is written in pure Java, dnsjava is fully threadable, 
and in many cases is faster than using InetAddress.

dnsjava provides both high and low level access to DNS. The high level 
functions perform queries for records of a given name, type, and class, 
and return the answer or reason for failure. There are also functions 
similar to those in the InetAddress class. A cache is used to reduce the 
number of DNS queries sent. The low level functions allow direct 
manipulation of DNS messages and records, as well as allowing additional 
resolver properties to be set.

A simple tool for doing DNS lookups, a 'dig' clone and a dynamic update 
client are included, as well as a simple authoritative-only server.

For more information, see the README 
<http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/README> file in the source 
distribution.

For information on the sample programs included, see the USAGE 
<http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/USAGE> file in the source 
distribution.

For API documentation, see the Javadoc documentation 
<http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/doc> in the source distribution 
or the examples.html 
<http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/examples.html> file.

Please read this documentation before asking questions.

dnsjava is under the BSD license.

*Other software using dnsjava*

    * Muffin <http://muffin.doit.org/> - a filtering proxy server
    * JaMS <http://www.kimble.easynet.co.uk/jams/> - a mail server
    * JAMES <http://james.apache.org/> - Java Apache Mail Server
    * CustomDNS <http://customdns.sourceforge.net/> - a configurable DNS
      server
    * CRSMail <http://crsemail.sourceforge.net/> - a mail server
    * JacORB <http://www.jacorb.org/> - a Java ORB
    * Jackpot <http://jackpot.uk.net/> - an SMTP relay honeypot
    * Scarab <http://scarab.tigris.org/> - a defect tracking system
    * Java Email Server <http://www.ericdaugherty.com/java/mailserver/>
    * Jsmtpd <http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmtpd/> - a java smtp daemon
    * jSPF <http://james.apache.org/jspf/index.html> - a pure java SPF
      implementation
    * SecSpider <http://secspider.cs.ucla.edu> - DNSSEC monitoring software
    * Rabbit4 <http://www.khelekore.org/rabbit/> - a web proxy
    * Netifera <http://netifera.com/> - a platform for creating network
      security tools
    * Eagle DNS <http://www.unlogic.se/projects/eagledns> - an
      authoritative DNS server

*Similar software*

    * dnspython <http://www.dnspython.org/>

View the Changelog <http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/Changelog>

Download dnsjava: HTTP <http://www.dnsjava.org/download/>

See the project <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dnsjava/> page at 
Sourceforge. SourceForge Logo <http://sourceforge.net>

Brian Wellington (bwelling@xbill.org <mailto:bwelling@xbill.org>)

------------------------------------------------------------------------




Mime
View raw message