river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS?
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:56:26 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> I think that there are lots of choices about service location and
> activation of proxies.  The MarshalledObject mechanism allows one to
> wrap proxies at any point and make them available for remote consumption.
>
> Downloading a proxy via http instead of Reggie works fine.
Good point.

> We need to document things and provide the convienence methods and
> classes that will promote standard practices.
We can set up an experimental documents area on svn, scanned scratchings
etc while we're hashing things out?  The crawler lookup service might
discard non conformant proxies to assist in promoting standard
practices.  The lookup service might also advertise what River platform
versions it's compatible with.

Global Lookup has some interesting compromises, due to the sheer
possible volume of entries, whether to provide convenience methods to
perform querying at the server to reduce network bandwidth consumption,
or to prohibit it due to security or memory and cpu resources.  Lookup
on the net would really be a search engine for proxy's, the potential is
there to make it very powerful if security issues associated with remote
code execution can be understood properly, a paradigm shift that
overcomes the issues with current search engines could occur.

How did the net evolve in the beginning?  As the number of web pages
increased, internet search engines were created?

My gut feel is a River Search Engine / Service Index (Lookup Service)
would need to address security issues with remote code execution.

Cheers,

Peter.