river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Lookup Service Discovery using DNS? (revised)
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:44:25 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Anyone got any opinions about Lookup Service Discovery?
>
> How could lookup service discovery be extended to encompass the
> internet?   Could we utilise DNS to return locations of Lookup Services?
>
> For world wide lookup services, our current lookup service might return
> a massive array with too many service matches. Queries present the
> opportunity to reduce the size of returned results, however security
> issues from code execution on the lookup service present problems.

I haven't seen any world wide deployments yet, at least not on my bench.
:-) And i would like to reserve my definite judgement before i have had
an actual production deployment of such a service.

When we have several reggies running on the internet, it would be
handy to find them via DNS SRV records. It would only create an extra
layer of indirection. With DDNS zone updates one could build some kind
of super registry, but i would prefer just to code it in java.

About MDNS (Bonjour) SRV records. MDNS is a multicast protocol
so it has the same pattern as the multicast discovery as currently
implemented. In a broad sense one could suggest that this might suffer
from the same deployment issues as een MDNS discovery would suffer.
Except that MDNS is more mainstream and on more sites there might be a
working infrastructure(substrate?) for it. (like MDNS holes in personal
firewalls). But still MDNS does not work in the internet.

But anyhow, would this solve the problem. In order for a
world-wide-registry to work, wouldn't we need to have clearly defined
services? I wouldn't connect to a registry which i cannot verify for
source and meaning. To be honest, i can only look as far as using jini
scoped for projects under my control, and wouldn't dare to connect to
outside services, unless there are clear agreements.

Running Jini on a LAN, creates no problems, as the LAN is under central
authority. But to venture out on the internet, which services would i
like to expose? I guess we have to define internet-jini. Is the internet
a global anonymous crowd, or is the internet a way to connect isolated
LAN's? Or just a happy few, romaing the internet, having the right
certificate chain to identify them.

Gr. Sim

P.S. Just tell me, am i a scared conservative, blocking the way of progress?

Quality Consultancy Group b.v., Leiderdorp, Kvk Leiden: 28088397