river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Lookup Service Discovery using DNS?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:17:53 GMT
Anyone got any opinions about Lookup Service Discovery?

How could lookup service discovery be extended to encompass the
internet?   Could we utilise DNS to return locations of Lookup Services?

For world wide lookup services, our current lookup service might return
a massive array with too many service matches. Queries present the
opportunity to reduce the size of returned results, however security
issues from code execution on the lookup service present problems.

If we did allow queries on a Lookup Service, could we do so with a
restricted set of available Types utilising only trusted signed
bytecodes?  If bytecode becomes divorced from the origin of a Marshalled
Object, and instead obtained from a trusted codebase service, then
perhaps we could have a system of vetting source code submitted for the
purpose of becoming trusted authorised query types?  Any query utilising
untrusted bytecode might return an UntrustedByteCodeException?

Perhaps we could make service match results available as a bytestream,
clients that couldn't handle large amounts of data could inspect the
bytestream, continually discarding what isn't required?

Check out this link on DNS service discovery:

http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd.txt

Cheers,

Peter.