river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@marbro.org>
Subject Re: Apache River Release
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:00:41 GMT
Hi,

I'm not really following River closely these days due to a lack of time
amongst other things although I'm a little bit busy with resurrecting
the Cheiron project. However I was triggered by the subject.

The release notes can be found here as all issues have been assigned to
a certain release, in this case AR2:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12312604&styleName=Text&projectId=12310600&Create=Create

You can include the list into the release notes or you can link
to the web based one (the above). I noticed that most of the issues
still needs to be closed as they are still in the resolved state.

Although I refrain fom further opinions about whether to release or not,
etc. I noticed 2 things.

1) the number of changes seems impressive, but most of them are fairly
(although important) trivial fixes, clarifications and therefore I think
it doesn't represent a 2.2.0 release, rather a 2.1.2 release.

2) I noticed the name Jini changed into River in all release notes
documents, which is not correct, and not even consistent with the usage
of Jini in the Javadoc, Specs, etc. It has been discussed in the past
that River is an implementation of the Jini Specifications with
additional stuff that people find interesting as part of the project,
but maybe this opinion has changed since the first release in which case
the initial committers have been sleeping, which is probably not far
from the truth in River participation terms ;-)

Maybe it would have been better if this wasn't committed directly but
added to a JIRA issue for review, or with a little bit more time between
the announcement and the actual action.

Regards,
--
Mark Brouwer