river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache release signing on Solaris 10
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:32:30 GMT
Hi Peter,

The only reason *not* to use 1.4.10 IMHO is if the generated artifacts
somehow are incompatible with other GPG programs out there.

If you want to create an example .asc from some file that you have in
your public directory, I'd be happy to verify that it works.

Craig

On Jan 3, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Thanks Robert,
>
> GnuPG 1.4.10 has no trouble creating 4096 bit keys and it compiles
> cleanly on Solaris, I have a set generated, I just wasn't sure if
> there was some reason I should be using the later version.  1.4.10
> is still being maintained, its recommended for servers and embedded,
> while 2.0.14 is preferred for desktops.
>
> If no one objects, I'd be happy to use the keys to sign the AR2
> release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been attempting to compile and install GnuPG 2.0.14 as per
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/openpgp.html#generate-key
>>>
>>> Unfortunately GnuPG 2.0.14 depends upon libassuan-1.0.5 which uses
>>> funopen
>>> or fopencookie calls that don't exist on Solaris 10.  NB. I
>>> succeeded
>>> getting GNU PThreads library version 2.0.7 compiled and installed,
>>> which
>>> incidentally requested I email the author, to included it the tested
>>> platforms (after passing all tests).
>>>
>>> Other libraries required that I compiled and installed were:
>>> libgcrypt
>>> libksba
>>> libgpg-error
>>>
>>> I have GnuPG 1.4.10 installed, it can generate 4096 bit RSA keys.
>>>
>>> Is there anything on Solaris 10 that is considered suitable for key
>>> generation for Apache?
>>>

>> IIRC 1.4.10 has the required changes backported from the 2.x
>> codestream but i haven't had time to verify that the keys are
>> correctly generated or that the configuration instructions work (i
>> may
>> be able to find some time in Feb once my semester one exams are
>> done).
>> it is possible - with sufficient knowledge - to create secure keys
>> using 1.4.9 or earlier but it's fiddly and error prone. i think - but
>> haven't checked - that you should be able to follow the *full*
>> instructions for 2.x using 1.4.10 and then verify that the signatures
>> created by the new key are strong enough.
>>
>> - robert

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!