river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Distributed ExecutorService
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:52:32 GMT
This is the service model that I envisioned for the work I did to put executors
into a javaspace like environment with my http://griddle.dev.java.net project.

I've always wanted to have to conversation about importing permissions, but to
some degree we've already done that.

o  The granting of permissions to a specific codebase URL already exists.
o  With HTTPMD, we can guarantee that the content of the jar hasn't changed
    and thus the permissions we are granting are to be used by software which
    we know the behavior of.
o  With DynamicPolicyProvider and the com.sun.jini.start.ServiceDescriptor
    implementations, you can derive a dynamic "service" environment with some
    appropriate changes to com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter to include the
    convehence of whatever policy and configuration you want to use.

I've used com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter and a derivative of my
http://startnow.dev.java.net projects org.wonderly.url.vhttp.Handler
StreamHandler implementation to create a dynamically downloading and caching for
offline execution client runtime environment.

I think we have lots of bits and pieces that can work together, and the OSGi
bundle mechanism might be a standard way to package into a jar, what permissions
are actually required.

In the real world, many people still seem to have no stamina for building an
exact policy, and instead, look at the software they are running as either
trusted or not-trusted in totality, and use AllPermission as the gating permission.

If we were to work on providing a "complete" permission convehence mechanism,
would that be useful if there still are not adequate tools for
discovering/knowing exactly what permissions are required?

Gregg Wonderly