river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject RE: Use of socket factory in LookupLocator
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:07:45 GMT
I'm siding with Sim on this one.  It seems strange to use a
(comparatively) heavy weight Configuration object for this when just
overloading the constructor makes sense for the class concerned.  (And
has minimal impact elsewhere).

Two caveats though;

1) It's an *overloaded* cntr, please don't remove any of the existing
ones
2) Leave applying the patch until after the AR2 release

I'd also be wary of discouraging the submission of a patch because we
can't decide exactly what it should look like.  I'm not convinced that
the arguments for the Configuration object are stronger than the
arguments to make this an additional cntr.  Given that, and the fact
that someone has a patch already waiting, let's go with whatever we have
ready.

Of course, if the cntr approach appears to be wrong at some point in the
future, *whoever creates the Configuration object patch* can deprecate
it.

As some one way brighter than me once said, "a man who has never made a
mistake, has never made anything".  I say use this patch, at the very
least we can say that the River community has made something.

Tom