river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River & OSGi
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:09:19 GMT
That's the right question.

    * Set up Apache River for Pervasive Computing, by laying foundations
      that:
          o Make it possible to lookup the correct latest compatible
            bytecode for marshalled object instances using the publish,
            find, bind pattern.
          o Enable sharing of objects between different applications
            based on common domain object libraries, enable those
            libraries to evolve unconstrained by backward compatiblity
            without loosing the object data when the bytecode drops
            backward compatibility due to refactoring.
          o Make node bytecode upgrades seamless for applications.

For some background see the following Papers:

The paper on Classloading issues by Michael Warres on River-316

Or at:

http://research.sun.com/techrep/2006/smli_tr-2006-149.pdf

The Paper on Project Neuromancer, highlighting problems with Jini and Java.
http://research.sun.com/techrep/2007/smli_tr-2007-162.pdf

My latest heading is inspired by Tim Blackman's research on classloader
trees.  No paper was released for this, however we have some of the code
Tim used in com.sun.util.tools.classdepend

Regards,

Peter.