river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River & OSGi
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:50:59 GMT
Hi Gregg,

The metadata represents package and class api signatures, it's a
property of the code that already exists, that we capture.  We can then
make the information available without needing to load a class file
first.  Because Java doesn't allow reloading of class files in the same
classloader, well not yet at least, I'd like to verify that the class
being loaded is compatible prior to loading.

Once you identify a packages API, it makes sense to catalogue it against
a version number of some sort, OSGi already supports versioning metadata
so it seemed logical to use that convention.  There are some language
changes in Java 7 to support modules, jsr 294 from memory I think.

Thanks,

Peter.

Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> [...]
>
> Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> Dennis Reedy wrote:
>>> So if this information is produced at build time, added into a jar's
>>> manifest, what is the difference with using a convention of
>>> something like a maven artifact to provide version and update support?
>>>

>> A very brief statement is that it would describe the actual API of a
>> package; the methods and fields of public class files, this
>> information would be generated from the classpath, without programmer
>> input, and stored as files in the jar file, in addition to the
>> current bundle metadata, see below:
>>> I haven't worked out how to represent the metadata in textual form
>>> yet, perhaps xml? The tool, uses a number of options to define its
>>> analysis / search scope and classpath from which it builds a
>>> collection containing DependencyRelationship objects that contain
>>> class metadata.  Each DependencyRelationship object contains two
>>> collections, one for dependants and one for providers, each
>>> DependencyRelationship forms a node in the dependency graph.
>>>
>>> The DependencyRelationship objects can then grouped into a
>>> collections, one for each package.  You then iterate over the
>>> collection to get all Provider's that are external to the package.
>>> These DependencyRelationship Objects each represent a class from an
>>> external (imported) package.  This can then be grouped into
>>> collections from different packages.  Each of these collections
>>> represent a dependency on an imported package.
>>>
>>> The Package API itself is determined by class visibility.   When I
>>> refer to classes here, I'm referring to class files, so this
>>> includes interfaces and abstract classes.
>>>
>>> Only Public Classes form represent the Package API, from there you
>>> drill down to the public class details:
>>>
>>>    * all public methods and field signatures.
>>>    * all protected method and field signatures.
>>>    * serialVersionUID
>>>
>>> The DependencyPackageAPI signatures can be checked against the
>>> PackageAPI signatures.
>>>
>>> I guess this could be done with a method such as
>>>
>>> public interface PackageMirror {
>>> public boolean satisfies(DependencyPackageAPI depends);
>>> }
>>>
>>> The devils in the implementation details of the above method.
>>>
>>> The devil is set out in Chapter 13 Binary Compatibility from the
>>> Java Language Specification 3.0
>>>
>>> Where this analysis gets really interesting is when a dependency is
>>> published in return values of an exported PackageAPI, in this case a
>>> client bundle importing a package from this bundle will also have to
>>> import a Package that satisfies the common dependency.  The runtime
>>> will need to resolve all package dependencies prior to loading.
>>>
>>> To generate the metadata I might persist to xml, all the
>>> DependencyRelationship objects for a bundles exported packages as
>>> well as the subset DepenencyRelationship objects from the import
>>> package requirements.
>>>
>>> The metadata might be stored in three files in the jar:
>>> provides.xml
>>> client_requirements.xml - packages that use this package X will
>>> depend on these other packages, Y and Z, full PackageAPI signatures
>>> must be captured for Y and Z also.
>>>
>>> Or to be consistent with OSGi:
>>> imports.xml
>>> exports.xml