river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: RIVER-325: Use of socket factory in LookupLocator
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:22:27 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> I'm just thinking out loud.  Adding constructor args can quickly cause
> variations to come about that change the number of constructors in the
> API in quadratic or worse rates.
>
> It seems that we need to add two constructors in this case so that the
> default port for lookup doesn't have to be "knowledge" that is always
> reflected in the constructors if you use a factory.  Thoughts on one vs
> two constructors?  I haven't looked at your patch.

The specification of SocketFactories will take place in the config
files. In this case i see no benefit in providing for another extra
constructor than:

public LookupLocator(String host, int port, SocketFactory sf)

We might document that sf = null means no factory (as it is now), and
port = -1 means default port (needs extra patch).

Gr. Sim

Quality Consultancy Group b.v., Leiderdorp, Kvk Leiden: 28088397