river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Use of socket factory in LookupLocator
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:39:54 GMT
Patrick Wright wrote:
> I think the point may be that the non-Configuration parameters to a
> class are generally those which must be supported by a qualifying
> implementation; whatever is in the Configuration is an internal
> decision of a specific implementation. I think host and port make
> sense as part of the LL API, whereas how sockets are created or
> configured is an implementation decision for a Jini implementation.
> For example, an implementation may decide to keep the socket factory
> itself private to the class, while allowing certain socket parameters
> like timeout to be configured via Configuration.

It was a sensible decision to include a socket factory parameter in
SslEndpoint, TcpEndpoint, HttpEndpoint. They all don't use a config
instance.

A LookupLocator does not need a config either. The constructor can be
the same as an Endpoint (host,port,factory).

Gr. Sim

Quality Consultancy Group b.v., Leiderdorp, Kvk Leiden: 28088397