river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River & OSGi
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:15:28 GMT
Mike,

You come from a background of Standard setting?  Well that explains your
wish to have a discussion using "correct terminology".  For a layman
like myself (at least in Computing), I use loose terms to describe what
I'm talking about.  I guess this means there's a gulf between us when
making attempts to communicate using computing terms.  To the layman,
me, a Service appears to be a software design pattern. Yes I'm also
guilty of calling MVC a design pattern.

On the other hand, something that you can take away from our
conversation, that might serve you well in future endeavors, is that you
need tolerance, patience and understanding when dealing with people who
are of different cultural or work backgrounds, the average programmer is
not at your level of detail and would most likely take offense.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, so I understand the importance of accurate
terms in Engineering, the only difference between my field and yours, is
that Mechanical Engineers are legally liable and suffer heavy penalties,
or gaol terms for mistakes, hence strict adherence to terminology, so it
is surprising to see it in computing.

If I were to discuss with you, a Power Station, or Structural Stress,
you would be the layman.

I decided to respond in an aggressive manner, as your post had the tell
tale signs of a protracted heated argument brewing and this Subject has
been touchy in the past. I was cutting you off at the pass and battening
down the hatches.

You have my apologies, I didn't show you the courtesy of tolerance,
patience and understanding either.  I take back what I said.

If you'd like to try again, you can tell me that my terminology isn't
right and I'll try to find another way of explaining it, without getting
frustrated or offended.  But you must also understand, that just because
people like myself don't use proper terminology doesn't mean we don't
have an understanding, you might have a better understanding, but do try
not to get frustrated, that is detectable and comes across poorly.

Regards,

Peter Firmstone.