river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River & OSGi
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2009 02:33:37 GMT
Dennis Reedy wrote:
> Wow, this should be another interesting thread!
>
> Before we all get started on this rampage again, I suggest you read
> this article http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=202304.
>
> From my standpoint I think this project really needs some focus. OSGi
> adoption into River is certainly something to consider for future
> adoption, but IMO it is not something that should be presented as a
> possible future until River begins to produce releases and stabilizes
> as a project. We have now been waiting for quite some time for AR2.
> Can we get that moving? Please?
Ok, I'll do it shortly.

> Once River gets rolling perhaps considering how OSGi may play in the
> future of River can be considered. Maybe:
>
> - Looking at how River services can themselves be OSGi bundles [1]
> - Looking at a River platform that could also instantiate OSGi bundles
> and expose a service contained within that bundle as a dynamic
> service, accessible through the network using River technology [2]
>
> Dennis
>
> [1] I see this as the low hanging fruit here.
> [2] This and other things are also being investigated with Rio.
I'm hoping you'd like to collaborate on a solution, whatever it's
eventual form, I had originally steered away from OSGi due to the rot
that had previously appeared on this list, however there is an
underlying problem that needs to be solved regarding controlling
Classloading structure and package visibility and OSGi tech can assist.

Best Regards,

Peter.