river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River & OSGi
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:32:02 GMT
Mike McGrady wrote:
> First, I would like to know what the "shared" "Service Pattern" is.
Sharing - Objects moved between jvm's in a distributed environment.

Distributed Service Pattern -  Dynamic Runtime Discovery - Lookup of
Objects that share a common Interface, receiving a proxy that enables
the transmission of as Parameters and Returned Methods using Jeri / RMI
/ Serialization etc.

>   Second, I would like to note that in my opinion changing Felix,
> which is architecturally on firm ground to accommodate Jini is a huge
> mistake.
Why? Felix is designed to be embedded into systems, are you suggesting
Felix isn't suitable, would you prefer I use another Modular
infrastructure to manage package visibility?  If so which one? The
current alternative JSR-294 depends on Java 7 and hasn't been released
yet.  I fail to see why utilising mature code as opposed to expending
much time reimplementing when something already exists would be a huge
mistake?   I have considered extending Classworlds, however this would
require jvm restarts when packages needed to be replaced.  The Java
Package Version Specification is optional and isn't widely implemented.

> I am not convinced that this analysis understands the depth of OSGi.
> Certainly the module, lifecycle, service levels of abstraction in OSGi
> seem to me to not coincide with the notion of service in Jini.  This
> difference is greater when distribution is considered.  I would
> suggest that no decisions be made without a more developed and better
> expressed alternative than this.  Felix does not need to compromise
> it's architectural integrity to accommodate less mature concepts in Jini.

OSGi segregates bundles of software (jar files with metadata) into
separate classloaders, controls visibility of packages between bundles
based on compatibility information (metadata) in jar files and enables
the bundles to be stopped, replaced and restarted.

To utilise OSGi, a Jini program must be distributed in a bundle
containing dependency information on package version imports.  To be
made available outside its Classloader (one for each bundle) the
visibility of Packages must be controlled, it's public API Packages must
be registered ie the bundle started.  Since Java cannot reload class
files when a Bundle is upgraded, it must reside in another Classloader,
so Classloaders are Bundle and version specific.  The service pattern
enables the bundle to be rediscovered by identity locally within the JVM
after an upgrade.  A Jini service must be exported and registered to be
available for lookup, if it is being managed by an OSGi framework it
must first have it's bundle started and registered.

Jini currently loads class files into classloaders based on the local
availability of classes or http coadebase URL origin, imposing
restrictions on sharing of Objects, this is suboptimal, OSGi can assist
in resolving this issue by providing a framework that manages package
visibility.  However I don't believe that OSGi alone is enough in a
distributed environment

Please provide me with facts so we can have a meaningful discussion,
from your reaction I detect your gut feel is telling you this isn't the
right approach, my gut feel is that it is. I've based my reasoning on
facts, I need some factual information to be convinced otherwise.

No offense intended.

Regards,

Peter.