river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject Service Archive Structure (was: RE: Maven Artefacts RIVER-317 - AR2 Release)
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:27:53 GMT
I think there is a lot of merit in this idea.  Creating a standard
".jsd" that described where to put which files (and therefore, which
files are needed) would make River service creation and deployment much
simpler.

One of my frustrations is the sprinkling of different discrete files and
bits and bobs that are all required to start up a service.  Of course,
once you're used to what is needed it becomes second nature, but
developing that second nature is a pain.  As is troubleshooting when
your second natures lets you down!

However, defining an archive file structure that describes everything
you need - and presumably ant tasks and the maven equivalents, to
generate and start/stop these things - will make life a whole lot
easier.

Where I work, we have a concept of a grouping of services which can all
be started together, often in the same JVM.  Any given host can run
multiple "service groups".  We developed our own directory structure
which describes where everything goes, new "service groups" then use a
template of that directory structure.  The problem with this, though, is
that the scripts are all OS specific and need constant configuring and
maintaining.  Also, hand rolling a "service group" directory is error
prone (although made simpler with some Bash magic).

If I understand Gregg (do I?) developing a way to package a service or
services could be left to some, River supplied, automated tool.
Starting them then becomes a simple process of;

$ java com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter MyService.jsd

Or something.

I also like the idea of making a mechanism of dropping these ".jsd"
files into other container environments.  Dare I say "OSGi"?  And have
them handle the starting/stopping of them.

River is great in that you can do a whole heap of really clever and
amazing things with it.  But speaking as an "app developer" who just
wants to write services that will live solely within his own companies
secure and safe subnet,  River/Jini can be an absolute pain.

Again, if I understand it right, these ".jsd" files would take away much
of that pain.  Right?

Great idea, Gregg.  In my opinion, this is well worth a Jira of its own
and some serious thought/effort put into it.

Cheers,

Tom