river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject RE: Release versioning
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:49:10 GMT
I agree with Niclas, breaking source but not binary compatibility sounds
like a strange set of difficult circumstances.

I'd got for a more simple definition of "Major Release - might break
anything you're currently doing, please check the release notes".

This is where I make a comment about changing all the package names...

Cheers,

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: hedhman@gmail.com [mailto:hedhman@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Niclas
Hedhman
Sent: 01 October 2009 08:08
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Release versioning

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au>
wrote:

> -Major Release, new Features, Packages & API, API Changes that Break
Source
> (compile time) compatibility but not binary (runtime) compatibility.

What are you going to call a release that breaks binary compatibility?
Personally, I think this requirement is too ambitious. If source
compatibility is broken, you might as well allow for binary
compatibility to break as well. I doubt the constraint is valuable
enough, and instead try to keep both source and binary compatibility
as long as possible and aggregate changes into any major releases very
seldomly.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

www.sucdenfinancial.com

Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AZ
Telephone +44 203 207 5000

Registered in England no. 1095841
VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and entered in the FSA
register under no. 114239

This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be privileged.
It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, please notify postmaster@sucfin.com immediately and delete it from
your computer system.

We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are virus-free, but you
should check.

Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and personal emails. By
replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial 's monitoring the content of any emails
you send to or receive from Sucden Financial . Sucden Financial is not liable for any opinions
expressed by the sender where this is a non-business email.

The contents of this e-mail do not constitute advice and should not be regarded as a recommendation
to buy, sell or otherwise deal with any particular investment.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.