river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: DynamicPolicyProvider concurrency
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:05:53 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> Peter Firmstone wrote:

>>> This sounds like a job for
>>> java.util.concurrent.ReentrantReadWriteLock!  Da dat, da dat, da
>>> dat, da da!   Requires Java 5, works well, the javadoc is clear
>>> too.  Can you submit this as an issue on Jira?
>>
>> We don't actually want to lock, we just want to use a copy on write
>> update strategy that does lock but set volatile references to the new
>> contents.
If you have multiple references containing object state, I'd suggest
using an immutable wrapper object (no setters) containing implicit
references to the objects, where it is read or replaced using a single
AtomicReference.  The problem you have then is whether the state your
wrapping has visibility elsewhere or not, it is likely that these will
all need to be created by using defensive copies in your constructor,
each time you wish to update state.