river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Maven Artefacts RIVER-317 - AR2 Release
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 00:42:43 GMT
What sort of time frame are we looking at for an implementation?

Unless this can be done in the very near future, how about we reverse
Jeff's Maven Patch for now, release River 2.2.0, patch it back into
trunk and aim for a River 2.2.1 release that includes support for Maven
artefacts?

I'd like to get River 2.2.0 out the door.

P.S. Excellent discussion, great to see...

Cheers,

Peter.

Dennis Reedy wrote:
> [...]
>
> Dennis
>

> On Sep 30, 2009, at 635PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>
>> I am still of the opinion that we need to define a 'war' kind of
>> archive of all the "jars" in a Jini service definition and make that
>> the maven artifact (maybe use .jsd for the extension).  Then, we need
>> deployment tools that understand such a thing, and can open it and
>> extract the bits out that are needed for each kind of use.
>>
>> I've thought about this some, and think that we could amend
>> com.sun.jini.start to have another "config structure" that provided
>> the appropriate details into the existing classes' construction
>> inside of com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter.
>>
>> We might define the following '.jsd' file content from the top level
>> directory perspective as a simple start.
>>
>> 1.  META-INF/MANIFEST provides a class-path: entry that details the
>> jars depended on for class path.
>> 2.  META-INF/MANIFEST provides a code-base: entry that details the
>> names of jars that must be in the codebase
>> 3.  codebase/* contains all the codebase jars which are part of the
>> build
>> 4.  service/* contains all of the jars which are part of the classpath
>> 5.  java.policy would provide a default policy file
>>
>> The 1 and 2 items would be what containers used to decide how to
>> package a service. They would take provided jars out of 3 and 4 to
>> fill out the details as the primary source.
>>
>> Any missing jars from 3 and 4 would need to be obtained elsewhere.
>> Maven artifact names would be a something to use here would it not?
>> We could use different MANIFEST entries to specify simple jars vs
>> known, public maven artifact names.
>>
>> There could also be stuff in the MANIFEST about version etc to help
>> containers decide what version of what is needed.
>>
>> These are the things I've thought a little bit about so far.  I've
>> been working on the start of a netbeans plugin to try and deal with
>> testing and using Jini services inside of netbeans and providing the
>> generation of a 'war' kind of thing.  It's going fairly well so far,
>> but real work keeps taking precedence. This defined 'packaging' would
>> make such a plug-in container neutral. Containers would then just
>> need to provide a "JiniServiceDeployer" implementing plug-in to allow
>> new services to be deployed out of the IDE.
>>
>> What do the other container authors think about this.  Would it be
>> more work to do something like this without a real benefit, or is
>> there something we can all gain by creating some standard packaging
>> to help keep things together and allow service "owners" to create
>> deployment packages more readily for public consumption in various
>> kinds of container environments?
>>
>> Gregg Wonderly
>>
>> Jonathan Costers wrote:
>>> Sorry, I actually need to thank Jeff for his contribution and Dennis
>>> for
>>> his suggestions and remarks.
>>> Op woensdag 30-09-2009 om 17:14 uur [tijdzone +1000], schreef Peter

be