river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven Artefacts RIVER-317 - AR2 Release
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:07:51 GMT
Hi Gregg,

To a certain extent I think having an archive would make sense, but as
it relates to Maven created service artifacts I am not so sure. I am
going through a conversion of Rio to a maven project, and am actively
working on better maven integration as well, so alot of what I
reference below is an ongoing effort. That being said, I think a high
level discussion coud put things in a better context. Lets  discuss
how something like Outrigger would pan out:

Outrigger would have the following artifacts:

org.apache.river:outrigger -> This would map to outrigger.jar
org.apache.river:outrigger:dl -> This would map to outrigger-dl.jar.
The key here is creating this artifact with a classifier. The
classifier allows us to distinguish artifacts that were built from the
same POM but differ in their content.

So if I have the groupId:artifactId[:classifier] I can get the jars
from the local repository (and/or download them from a configured
repository). Once we have that, we should be able to deploy directly
from the local Maven repository, having the classpath and codebase
resolved by dependency management.

IMO, this could provide seamless integration with created service
artifact(s), and perhaps mitigate against creating service archives.

Dennis