river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Jones <...@roundroom.net>
Subject Re: Uuid, Versioning, Object Identity & The future.
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 06:00:09 GMT
Peter,

Sorry that I have not been able to read your various writings on this
broader topic-- but regarding the message below, I thought that I
should point out that the whole reason that net.jini.id.UuidFactory
creates instances of its nested seemingly-pointless Impl subclass of
Uuid (and Uuid itself is extensible but extremely paranoid about
subclass interference in its own behavior), was for this to serve as
an experiment in separating a serializable public API class (not
interface because exact behavior is required for security) for which
type sharing is desired, thus it should be non-preferred, from an
actual class that will carry the effective codebase annotation
(superclass annotations are unimportant), which should be preferred so
the codebase doesn't get "lost".

In practice, however, I don't think that the experiment yielded much,
because Uuid is such a fundamental and ubiquitous class that it always
ends up as part of the assumed "platform" anyway, so that the lost
codebase issue is moot.

(And then Java SE finally got around to adding its own UUID class in
5.0...)

-- Peter