river-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Chance <sgcha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi RFC 119 Distributed OSGi - (Was [RE: OSGi and Jini])
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:47:20 GMT
Tom,

I think you are "tracking" in the direction I was suggesting.  Peter's email
is similarly aligned.  I'm not meaning to imply that I am "right"; I'm just
saying your and Peter's thoughts are congruent with my own.  In fact, OSGi
does help a lot with "Classpath Hell". OSGi also adds another layer of
security above the standard Java.  Versioning is a "first-class function" in
OSGi.

Distributed OSGi, in my view, is almost an indirect reference to Jini!
Minimally, D-OSGi is well aligned with Jini/River and the opportunity to
implement it using River is clearly present.

As for Jigsaw, Groovy, and Java 7 modules, I would steer clear. Decisions
about technology adoption are clearly not the result of superior technology.
(Look no further than Jini!)  OSGi is already enjoying wide adoption and
acceptance. Frankly, I attribute much of it to the *simplicity* of OSGi,
coupled with its elegance.  Jigsaw is obscure at best; Groovy IMHO is
"one-off", and Java 7 is - well, who knows?

The broad adoption of OSGi in automotive, mobile and enterprise sectors is
clearly the enabler for "mass convergence".  The press releases and other
public literature are pervasive and reflect a strong consensus.

Having said all that, I also know that "computer science" can sometimes
appear to be an oxymoron! For all we know, Groovy and Jigsaw could be all
the rage next week!  Still, it is logical and probable that OSGi will become
the ubiquitous module system for Java.  And convergence across heretofore
separate networks will usher in an enormous need for distributed services
and their requisite management.

Just some thoughts.

Sam