river-dev mailing list archives

From Elijah Menifee <elijahcmeni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Was: OSGi and Jini] Now -> Next Steps
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:05:52 GMT
I myself have started to play with NIO for prototyping a replacement server
system for my company's software.  While doing research on how to obtain
SSL/TLS connections on top of the NIO framework I came across Project
Grizzly <https://grizzly.dev.java.net/> which is a sub component of the new
GlassFish server, as such it is dual licensed under CDDLv1 and GPLv2
(ClassPath exception for some parts listed at bottom of GlassFish
license<https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDL+GPL.html>
).

IANAL so I do not know if it is license compatible or not. If it is it may
provide a good frame work for a low level threaded NIO server to implement
Jini protocols on top of.  My understanding is that there has been work done
to get its transport layer to work for the Glassfish ORB.  This includes
IIOP, not sure if it also includes RMI-IIOP, or how hard it would be to get
the RMI-IIOP on top of their IIOP transport layer. ( I found this info
at Grizzly
Terminology Blog<http://blogs.sun.com/harshag/entry/grizzly_1_7_0_terminology>).
 I am currently evaulating it as a base server to implement my
company's
protocols on top of.  Also it has been a while since I worked with Jini
technology (1.2.1), I assume it still uses RMI, and do not know if it was
ever changed to support RMI-IIOP....But from what I have read it should be
possible to implement custom protocols on top of Grizzly transport layer.

Although it has been fun learning the NIO framework, and building a basic
threaded high-performance server has been a learning experience I am still
only prototyping the next revision of our software. If I can get Grizzly to
work with its SSL layer and worker thread management running our async
protocol and business logic I plan to pitch it to the other owners as the
technology to use for the next major rewrite. I believe it would be a better
solution than us maintaining our own low-level threaded NIO server, thus we
only would have to maintain our protocol, business-logic, and presentation
layers...

P.S. According to the FSF GPLv3 is license compatible with the v2 Apache
License, so if the Kerberos stuff can be upgraded to GPLv3 ( sometimes the
license on software states or a later version..., or if they choose to
relicense it under GPLv3) it should be compatable.