river-dev mailing list archives

From Elijah Menifee <elijahcmeni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini.org and mailing list
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:50:58 GMT
I am sure there could be an automated conversion, at the time there was more
concern that Jini.org would disappear and the simplest answer was to
manually (brute force as you describe it) reenter the information on the new
wiki.  I did not know how to go about obtaining a backup besides the wget
method, so I started plodding along, finding a way to contribute, even if it
was not the most productive use of my time.

If you could get me some information on the database platform, and a copy of
the backup sql/dbfiles I can look into writing a perl script that would at a
minimum find a way of converting the MediaWiki src files into MoinMoin src,
for manual pasting.  And with luck and more effort could possibly use the
LWP module to automate the posting of edits, including wiki edit history,
assuming that is stored the database backup you obtained.

The jini.org site is large enough for it to be worthwhile to look into
writing such a script, if the site was smaller, it might make since to
continue to plod along with the brute force manual approach I started. If a
conversion utility ends up being out of the question, it is still small
enough, that I would be willing to continue my manual method for the
Specs,Docs,FAQs...